Fall in Roma 2006

Here you will find the musings, discoveries, exasperations, longings, and general insights of a painter, a poet and their precocious toddler -- all of whom are living, studying, and exploring in Rome for the Fall of 2006.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Costa Mesa, California, United States

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Wednesday night fever





Buongiorno ragazzi,
It’s been awhile since I added my observations. I’ve been preoccupied with our housing dilemma and the possibility of coming home early. It’s still not resolved, but I’ve started to kick some ass, metaphorically speaking, we may yet get the trip we planned. We have started to photograph and document my Baroque churches.

Each morning the three of us go off on a “walk a walk” as Clare says. Morning work in the churches lasts as long as Clare can stand it, then we’re off to lunch or gelato. Today we were in the Jewish ghetto, so what’s more natural than a kosher hot dog! Clare’s choice of lunch for the day was a success.

As bad as our situation has been we find great moments and experiences…..
We were in a snack bar the other day and they were playing Italian Country & Western Music !!! “My vespa’s broke down and my Gucci’s got ripped but my Mama still makes great pasta “ or something along those lines…..

We went out for passagiata the other night, even though it was past Clare’s bedtime.Strolling down the via S. Francesco da Ripa, past all the shops, with every grandmother in Rome sitting outside, spotting Clare from a distance…”Que Bella”, “Principessa”…Clare would respond with a” Buona Sera “ or “Ciao Ciao” sending these Italians into a frenzy of gestures and accolades. After 4 blocks Clare was like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever….strutting down the street, waving, pointing, full of herself and her power.
I’ve got remember to videotape her one night.
Ciao, Tommaso

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home